Almond Joy Cupcakes

Wednesday, February 8, 2012



This weeks cupcakes were Almond Joy Cupcakes. Easy cupcakes with great reviews so far!  They say "When you look at a cupcake, you just have to smile" and I believe that is true.  When I finished these cupcakes I did just the same.  I enjoy baking but when I am done I am like a kid a Christmas I can not wait to share.  I am glad I have friends who want to share in this experience.  So here is the recipe for week 1...The Almond Joy. 

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup Lite Coconut Milk
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
You can also use a box mix.  I would use a devils food cake mix.   Only use 1 1/4 coconut milk, 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 3 eggs.

Preheat oven to 350°

Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients. Mix on low for 30 seconds. Turn mixer speed up to medium and beat for 2 1/2 minutes.

Fill liners 1/2 full with batter.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until centers spring back when pressed.  I baked mine for 17 minutes

Let cool completely before frosting.

 







After the cupcake has cooled begin to prepare the filling for the cupcake.
In a mixer whip 2 cups of heavy cream until it peaks.  Add 4 tablespoons of powered sugar and 4 teaspoons of coconut extract.  Mix again for 1 more minute.  Then fill a pastry bag and place the tip in the cupcake and fill until cupcake puffs up.

Then you can prepare the frosting.
1 cup butter (2 sticks) room temperature
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
8 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
3/4 cup light coconut milk
1/2 tsp. coconut extract

 

 

In mixer beat together butter and shortening until smooth.

On low mix in your powdered sugar.

Pour in your coconut milk and coconut extract and mix until combined. Turn up speed to medium and mix for 45 seconds.

 

I added chocolate syrup to the top to decorate.  I had good feed back so far.  But some had suggested making the cake more chocolaty.  Easy to do add syrup or cocoa powder.  There was also a request for lighter more coconut flavored filling.  You can adjust the amount of extract you add for the flavor of that.

The sweet girls in this picture seemed to enjoy them as well!


0 comments: