Yucky Yuck Rocky Road Cupcakes

Friday, March 9, 2012

Danielle Steel once said "A bad review is like baking a cake with all the best ingredients and having someone sit on it. "  Well that is how I feel.  One of my testers said that I always hit it out of the park when I bake and this cupcake was not the case.  It was so bad that I even missed 2 people who taste them on purpose.  I knew it would be a bad batch.  I didn't want to bake and I made myself do it.  Note self:  listen to the cupcake voices saying don't do it!!!  Next time I will be wiser :)  So here we go with this weeks cupcake...

Rocky Road Cupcakes



 5 ½ ounces cake flour
5 ½ ounces super fine sugar
6 ounces unsalted butter softened
3 large lightly beaten eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons dutched cocoa powder

The cake was very dry!  I would have made a double chocolate cake instead.


For The Rocky Road Filling… (the best part)
2 ounces semi sweet chocolate (I tripled this amount...it needed it)
1 ounce glazed red cherries
½ cup chopped nuts
2 cups pink and white marshmallows



For The Topping…
  • 2 ounces melting chocolate 

Directions

Preheat your oven to 350° F (180° C) and prepare 12 paper cupcake cases in muffin tins.Place softened butter and sugar into a bowl and cream with an electric mixer until the butter changes colour. (generally 2 minutes)Add in lightly beaten eggs to the mix a little at a time, beating on slow for 15 seconds between each addition.
Add Vanilla then sift in flour and baking powder and cocoa and mix for a further minute.Spoon batter into cases until they are approx 2/3rds full and then place in the middle rack in your preheated oven.
Bake for approx 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean, then remove and let sit for a few minutes before removing the cupcakes from the tins and placing them on a wire rack to cool.
To make the filling in a small bowl melt chocolate over a double boiler, then add chopped cherries, chopped cuts & chopped marshmallows and mix to combine.
Cut a small hole in the center of each cupcake and dig out with a spoon.

Discard the center and fill hole with rocky road filling piled high.Melt remaining chocolate over a double boiler, and then drizzle chocolate across the filling to hold in place.


0 comments: